Monday, February 20, 2012

A New Box of Crayons

When I was 7 or 8 years old, a favorite uncle gave me a box of crayons for Christmas. This was not just any old box of crayons. This was the giganto-pack, the largest size box of Crayolas you could buy. It had everything in it. The regular spectrum, of course, but also a bunch I had never seen before. Neon colors, silver, gold... everything I could possibly even think of wanting. And it had a built in sharpener on the box. I loved those crayons, and it forever cemented my relationship with my still favorite uncle.

The feeling I got when I opened that box is the same feeling I get every time I start a new art project. The sense of possibility, of limitlessness. It's why I keep going. After 20+ years of struggling and slogging, through the successes and the failures, the rejection, the praise and the criticism, it's that feeling I'm after. It's what keeps me going.

Here I am about to embark on something new again. I'm a bit behind with this whole blogging thing, but I follow enough of them that I see their worth. They can be inspiring and informative, a place to document experience and frustration. Here I will document my struggles and my process, and of course, my finished art and the thinking behind it. I hope to become part of that big online art community out there. It's been so inspiring for me, I think now is the time for me to share my crayons.

2 comments:

  1. Its that moment of possibility - the open crayon box - the thrill of starting something new - a part of you - that gets us going. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that box of crayons....it was awesome! And you have incredible talent that should be shared. I'll be reading.

    ReplyDelete