Monday, October 21, 2013

Year in Review

5x7 acrylic on paper. One of a new series of
miniature pieces that will be on my website soon.
Yesterday was my birthday. I spent about half the day painting, a few hours cleaning my house, and a bit of time with a friend trying to figure out what kind of camera I need so I can take decent working shots in my studio. Sounds exciting, doesn't it?

My life is not that interesting. I have a day job, I cart my kid around to various activities, and I paint. I try to keep up with what's going on in the art world, but I can't say I'm that good at it. I try to go to show openings and art events.... but I'm not very good at that either. I don't have that much free time, so I try to put it to use wisely. And sometimes, I'm just too tired.

My work has changed pretty dramatically in the last couple years. It was about the time that I decided I had to paint every day that things started happening. I got that ever so elusive "body of work" together, finally following the advice I'd been given countless times... "paint what you love". I developed a recognizable "style" (or at least I think it's pretty recognizable... it is, right?). I got some gallery interest. Sold a few pieces. My first solo show. Sold a few more. It's been a lot of work, and it's been a bit stressful, but it's been an interesting and satisfying journey.

I wonder why it took me so long to realize that I had to show up and do the work to get anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment