Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Boxed In: Project Entry Part 8 - Finishing Touches Canvas 3

"Escape", 12x12" Mixed Media on Canvas. Available.
This will be my last mid-week entry for this project. The end of the month is coming up, and I'm finishing up these paintings to get them to the gallery in time for the show. I was hoping to be able to live-stream the opening... I know a few of my followers who are not local would enjoy "being there", as much as they can. The easiest/most accessible version of "live" would be the new Facebook Live feature...... but alas, I still don't have access to it. Searching the help menu leads to the always  so helpful "some users may not yet have access to this feature". Awesome. First time ever Facebook has rolled out something new I actually want to use before it's available. 

I love this iridescent paint so much...
I do have other options. I'm on Periscope, but the one time I used it I got about 0 views. It's not like I've been on there much... most of my audience is not the 20-somethings that are up on every new app that comes along. So I think I'll go with the trusted YouTube platform... I can stream live (I've tried it out, but not exactly sure how it looks on the other end. How do you find live streams on there? I can't seem to figure that part out. Is it like a hangout?), and I can record it at the same time and save it to my channel. Yes I have a YouTube channel. My son was shocked.

Oh, and now it looks green! How cool is that?


I have another opening to get to this week... I was FINALLY accepted into the Artworks Oakville annual juried show. It's one of the local shows that is always really wonderful. Gets loads of entries, has notable judges, great prizes... all the things that make a juried show really hard to get into. I've entered repeatedly. To the point where when I fill out the entry form I feel like I'm making a donation to the group instead of actually entering a competition (it's the same with the VAM show, another really great juried show held at the AGM at the end of the year). Getting that acceptance email was a bizarre feeling... I walked around for a week thinking they surely made a mistake, and I'd be notified any day now. It's not that I don't think my art worthy of being in a show like that, it's more that my work is not so different that it would stand out when lined up against 100 or so other pieces. I'm make abstract paintings. Not unlike a plethora of other painters. It's just how it is.

Anyway, I will be posting the last of these paintings on Sunday. It feels like it's taken me forever to get these done.... but I've had a few other things going on. I'll fill you in on those at some point... I need to have something to talk about for these weekly entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment