Sunday, July 10, 2016

Art Journal: Emerging Selves

Spread in my Masks journal. Handmade book using heavy watercolour paper. 
I'm soon to become an empty nester. The thought scares me. I only actually gave birth to one child, but over the years our house has become the place where his friends come to hang out and practice. Especially this past year, when his high school friends have gone away to school and the new ones come from elsewhere. Coming home to a bunch of kids making music in my basement has become a regular, and not unwelcome thing. I've enjoyed it.

The thought of the house being empty makes me a little lonely. As much as I enjoy the quiet, (especially given my new "open concept" working environment... I don't even turn on the radio in the car on the way home), I'm not sure a 24/7 kind of quiet is all that appealing either. But whatever... I'll just have to get used to it. I'm sure he'll come home now and then to visit his mom. And get food.

I have read a load of books on ancient cultures and their ceremonial masks, and the the concept of transformation comes up again and again. Actually, that seems to be one of the themes I'm drawn to... all my favourite books, movies, and even tv shows have to do with transformations of some kind. Right now, I am watching my baby boy transform into the an adult. He's emerging from that protective cocoon of his childhood and setting off into the world. I remember fondly how exciting everything seemed then... this is a wonderful time for him, and no matter how sad it makes me, I have to suck it up and let him go. Hopefully, I've done my job well.

************************

I've officially moved over to mariannemorrisart.com. Remember to bookmark that site if you enjoy reading my blog...  posting here will end in August. Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment